As you plan for the funeral of your deceased loved one, please know of our prayers and support. At this time, there are many questions that need to be answered, especially regarding all Roman Catholic funeral rituals including: funeral home rituals, the funeral Mass and all of it’s components, and the grave side committal service. In many cases, the wishes of the deceased, if expressed in advance, help to guide the family in planning the scope of the funeral service. The Basilica staff is happy to assist you in planning those Catholic rituals that are both appropriate and prayerful. The Basilica has an excellent working relationship with many of the local funeral homes which can be helpful in assisting the family in preparing their deceased loved one and the family for this most solemn and consoling ritual celebration.
Please make note of the following:
- Music: Selection of sacred music and arrangements for an organist and cantor for a funeral at the Basilica, must be coordinated with the Basilica Music Director, Mr. Michael Repper. Mr. Repper can be reached via email: email@example.com. Should you be unable to reach Mr. Repper, please contact the parish office at 410-727-3564 x220.
- Fee Schedule: Some components of a Basilica Funeral are fee based. For example, there would be a fee associated with the Basilica providing an organist and a cantor or additional musicians. The Basilica parish office will be happy to discuss the current fee schedule for funerals with you.
- Eulogies: Eulogies are considered optional for Catholic funerals. However, should you wish to allow 1 person to offer a 2 to 4 minute eulogy as a personal and prayerful remembrance of the deceased person, it is recommended that this eulogy occur 5-6 minutes prior to the start of the funeral service.
- General Intercessions (Prayers of the Faithful): If you would like to add other special intentions to the ritual prayers, please contact the priest/deacon. A copy of these petitions will be provided upon request.
- Gospel Reading: It is customary that the priest celebrating the funeral Mass will select the gospel reading. However, if there is a particular gospel reading that has a spiritual significance for you or the deceased, please note the message box on the form below with the desired gospel reading.
Please complete the form below to begin the process. A member of the Basilica staff will be in touch with you soon to discuss your request.
Thank you again for your interest in the Basilica of the Assumption, and please accept our condolences during this time of mourning.
Basilica Funeral Request Form
Thank you for submitting your request to the Baltimore Basilica. We will reply to your request as quickly as we can, but it may take as long as a week. If you have any questions or would like to contact us by phone, you can reach the parish office at: 410-727-3564 x 220.